Lost Green Card...can employers still hire me?

Disclaimer: I understand any guidance provided is not formal legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. I am simply seeking information to understand my options and legal rights better.

Hi, my name is Roth. I am posting today to ask a question about my situation.

I’m a permanent resident working part-time. I’d like to change my job, but in the interviewing process, I stupidly lost my Green Card and my Social Security card. I have already applied for replacements, but it will take three months. In the meantime, can employers still hire me? I have photocopies of my green card and social security card.

Please note that any responses should not be construed as official legal advice. I’m seeking guidance to understand my rights better and navigate this issue. Let me know if you need any clarification on my situation. Thank You!

3 Likes

I believe you can still be hired, but you must present the document within 3 days. No source on that, but I did previously work for a landscaping company doing new hire paperwork.

2 Likes

If you have paperwork showing you’ve requested new documents you may be okay.

1 Like

As part of the onboarding, you’ll need to sign an I-9, which verifies the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! This is much appreciated.

1 Like