Job search advice

So, as the title states, I’m looking for some job search advice. I’m also sure this has been asked a million times, but what is a good indicator of a good company? I’m talking about even before you take the job. I’ve been looking at positions on LinkedIn and then I use Glassdoor to get a general sense of what it’s like working for whatever company I might be interested in, and it just looks like everywhere sucks, which is bumming me out. Like low pay, no movement, lack of benefits, insane managers, no 401k/retirement plan.

I know everyone is either going to hate working or love working for a company, and no company is 100% perfect( I wish they were) So how do I make the best possible decision, when looking for new job? Are my expectations too high? Is it wrong to hold companies accountable for treating their employees well?

2 Likes

Firstly, it’s important to approach Glassdoor with caution. Be cautious with Glassdoor; reviews there, whether positive or negative, often come from individuals with strong emotions stemming from their work experiences.

1 Like

I’d research the company financials, LinkedIn to see how long staff stay there (tenure), and social media accounts of the company, and then try to reach out/establish contact to get a better sense.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I hear about Glassdoor, and the HR comment is something I didn’t think of. These are all really good points though, and great advice to keep in mind on my job journey lol. Thank you! :slight_smile:

In my experience, the hiring process can be a strong indicator of a company’s quality and work environment. If they act unprofessionally, ask inappropriate salary questions, conduct excessive interviews, or fail to ask meaningful questions about your background, these can be red flags for a challenging workplace.

I’ve come across similar advice and stories from various career and job-related groups, particularly regarding the challenging aspects of the hiring and interview process. This information is valuable as I’m currently in the research phase of my job search. I greatly appreciate the guidance you’ve provided – it’s truly helpful! Thanks! :slight_smile: