Is there a specific time limit for me to file a complaint if my employer has not paid me?

My former employer demanded that I return my uniform in order to receive payment, which seems strange and unfair. At the time, I was going through some personal issues and didn’t have the time to address it, but I have since become aware of California labor laws that entitle me to compensation for my work. I only worked at Subway for about four weeks in July 2023, so I’m not sure if I can still file a complaint or receive payment. Although it may not be a significant amount, I still dedicated a month of my time to the job, and I believe I deserve to be compensated for it.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, if you haven’t returned the uniform, they may argue that they are keeping the money as compensation for “lost company property.”
Moreover, since it has been two years since you worked there, your only option would be to hire a lawyer and initiate a civil lawsuit to recover your withheld salary. However, considering it only four weeks’ worth of pay, and assuming it was a relatively low hourly rate, the legal fees may end up exceeding the amount Subway owes you. Regrettably, at this stage, it seems like a difficult situation to resolve.

1 Like

Got it! Thank you so much for letting me know!!

1 Like

Employers cannot deduct wages enough to make it below minimum wage, and there is no way in hell a T-shirt and a hat would have cost the amount of 4 weeks of pay anyway…

1 Like

Unfortunately, it doesn’t matter what the dollar amount is. They would simply argue that they are withholding the last paycheck until company property is returned. Additionally, since it has been 2 years, it would be even more difficult to argue with Subway for the money

1 Like

It does matter… it is ILLEGAL…