I lost my job because a colleague discovered my salary

Indeed, as the title suggests, I was terminated from my job because an unintended colleague learned of my salary. I had no prior knowledge that this could happen. The staffing agency that initially placed me in the role called to inform me that my services were no longer required. When I inquired further, I was informed that “someone’s feelings were hurt,” presumably due to being underpaid. I’m unsure if this is legally permissible. I recently enrolled my daughter in daycare for this job, and this situation has left me in a difficult position. Any guidance or advice would be highly welcomed and valued. For context, this incident occurred in South Carolina.

1 Like

No. Ask a real lawyer. I recommend consulting with a qualified attorney for legal advice.

1 Like

Isn’t this illegal?? This should fall under NLRA, shouldn’t it? They can’t fire you for wage discussion in the US.

It’s wise not to place too much trust in coworkers. They are colleagues, not necessarily friends. Regardless of any potential criticism or disapproval, it’s essential to maintain a certain level of caution at work, as someone may eventually let you down.

1 Like

I’d say you dodged a bullet, but that doesn’t help when you need to put food on the table. Good luck to you, what they did was beyond shitty.

Yeah I do think at the end this is a good thing… it’s just going to be a rough month. I’m glad I didn’t get stuck with those folks though.

1 Like