How should I respond to a rejection when I have a different perspective on the given reason?

I received a rejection today from a small startup company for a Project Manager position. I strongly disagree with the rejection, considering my 10+ years of experience in project management, including expertise in developing and enhancing frameworks, optimizing processes, and effectively leading teams while fostering cross-functional communication. During the interview, we discussed these qualifications at length, even though we occasionally veered off-topic due to the interviewer’s need to attend to her children. Prior to concluding the interview, she indicated that I was a good fit for the role, given my relevant skill set and substantial experience.

How should I respond to this rejection, if at all?

Rejection email below:
Thank you for your interest in -------- and taking the time to apply to the Project Manager position.

I am reaching out to share that we will not be moving forward at this time. The team is searching for a candidate with project management expertise to establish a framework for enhancing efficiency across various teams.

1 Like

Please - respect yourself enough to walk away from this. Writing an email pleading your case, in the working world, is the equivalent of begging…and that rarely if ever works in convincing a company to reconsider you as a candidate. Don’t put yourself in a weak position - accept the rejection, and don’t even respond.

1 Like

What are you hoping to achieve with replying? That they take it back and offer you the position?

Be pragmatic about it, if you’re looking for constructive feedback then fire off the email. But if you’re looking for confrontation as to why they’re wrong (in your eyes) then it’s a fruitless effort

1 Like

you’re not competing against the job description; you’re competing against other candidates

1 Like

No. Just move on.

They may have simply found a candidate that’s a slightly better fit in their eyess and sent you a copy/paste rejection email when they rules you out.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your perspectives and helpful viewpoints. I appreciate each of you for taking the time to share with me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like